Friday, October 3, 2014

Fall into a Healthy Relationship…




I want to bring your awareness to a topic that we are all affected by- RELATIONSHIPS.

As the days get shorter and the temperature gets colder, we tend to spend more time inside our homes with our families watching football, planning for holiday vacations, and avoiding the inevitable winter weight gain! Moreso, it means that we spend more time with the people that we live with and evaluating the relationships that mean so much to us.

I encourage you to think about how you would describe your relationships.

The military encourages healthy relationships, but my perceptions of a healthy relationship may differ from yours. For example, for me to be in a healthy relationship, it means that I am with someone that complements my interests, acknowledges my strengths, and accepts my weaknesses. I want to become my best self as a result of being in a relationship with that other individual. Being with someone that is controlling, possessive, and insulting, would be considered an abusive relationship.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and is nationally recognized by the purple ribbon. Domestic Violence Awareness Month is about celebrating the healthy relationships among our family and friends. More importantly, though, it is about preventing anyone from experiencing shame, guilt, or distrust as a result of being in a relationship.

Questions to consider as a sign of a healthy relationship:

1. Do I feel empowered by my partner?
2. Does my partner listen to me and acknowledge my suggestions?
3. Do I feel proud to be with my partner in private and in public?
4. Do we share responsibilities in our relationship?
5. Do I feel good about myself with or without my partner present?

If you find yourself answering “Yes, except…”, “Yes, but…”, or “No” then I encourage you to reach out to your local Family Advocacy Program to find out what services are available to you so that you can confidently answer “Yes” to all of these questions.

1 in 3 women and 1 in 7 men are victims to domestic violence throughout their lifetime, and an even greater number have interacted with a victim- whether it is a family member, friend, or neighbor. Domestic violence is a community problem that happens behind closed doors and kept private. This October, join us in opening our doors to demonstrate trust, support, and transparency to the victims in our community and demonstrate what it means to be in a healthy relationship.

Healthy relationships are for everyone. Domestic Violence Awareness is for everyone. Everyone is entitled to safety and self-confidence.



No comments:

Post a Comment